If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Thursday, August 30, 2018

A bump in the road

There’s no easy, eloquent way to put this.  My cancer has recurred.  It does seem small and localized, and, most importantly, treatable.

Yes, I just reported a clear PET scan, so my announcement may seem odd.  But, it wasn’t until my gynecological oncologist examined me last week that she found a very small tumor in my vaginal opening, just below the urethra, flying under the radar of the PET scan.  Sorry for the indelicate language, but that’s just how it is with gyn cancers.

Next week, I begin a 10-day course of radiation treatment, highly focused just on the spot where the tumor is.  After that, I might have one other radiation treatment that must be done in the OR, with me under sedation.  Additionally, I’ll probably start a course of Tamoxifen, an oral cancer drug that will hopefully mop up any additional little cancer cells that might be roaming around out there.

I’m over five years into remission, and I can’t believe I’m here again fighting the cancer monster.  Yes, I’m concerned, and sometimes at night after everyone’s gone to bed and I’m alone with my thoughts, I feel a little lost.  Mostly, however, I’m just pissed to have to take on this battle again.  Or, maybe it’s more of a skirmish compared with last time.  Either way, it’s not the way I want to be spending my time.

But, there’s no option but to move forward.  So here I move, over this bump in the road.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Beth my thoughts and best wishes are with you, wishing you bon courage and the best of luck in your battle with this bump in the road. Onwards and upwards!xxx 💟

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 'Unknown' above is me, sorry didn't notice it was doing that Bless you Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Beth....stay strong, stay positive. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you.

    ReplyDelete