If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

'Twas the night before chemo

Everyone's in bed now but me, and I can't help but wonder how I'm going to be feeling this time tomorrow night. I'm assured by my doctors and nurses and even the Internet (can you imagine I've been Googling lots of things recently?) that medical science has come a long way in managing chemo side effects. Trying not to feel skeptical.

I've been overwhelmed today by all the responses I've received. I've heard from folks I haven't seen in years and even people I've never met. The offers of support and assistance have been amazing. I've been especially moved by the near insistence of a friend (thanks Lauren) to set up an online system to volunteer to bring a meal to me and my family anytime throughout my chemotherapy treatment. If you're interested, you can check it out here.  I'm humbling myself and getting schooled in how to accept help when it's offered.

Paul is going with me tomorrow.  The chemo nurse told me to expect to be there for six(!) hours. I haven't yet seen the new infusion center at St. Joseph's, but I was assured it's very nice, with a separate cable tv for each chair.

They better have WiFi.


9 comments:

  1. Thank goodness Paul is going with you. I'll be with you in spirit today Beth...I can even be with you on WiFi if they have it. I'd offer to cook a real meal for you but you've probably made that mistake before and know that I can't cook. ;-) COOKIES!?!? I do great cookies though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, we will be thinking about you today. I hope all goes as smoothly as it can for you there with this process. :-) Thank you for doing your blog to allow us to follow you along and cheer you on as you tackle this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yipee on the WiFi! Now cable... do they have any Daniel Craig movies playing??
    I'm thinking about you all day today! I'm not surprised one bit that Paul is there, I expect nothing less from him :)
    Hang in there! Let us know how you're feeling because I'm trying to figure out the best time to call you :)

    Think I can Fed Ex over a meal? Perhaps freeze it and ship it overnight?! Oh how I hate being so far away right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, no DC. But I plan on getting my fill next weekend.

      Delete
    2. OOh, can I go, too? Or do you already have a date?

      Delete
    3. I might have a date...or I might be lying in bed with a cold rag on my head.

      Delete
  4. Dear Beth,

    I only found out about your situation last evening. You are in our prayers. I know pray can be a great healer in times of need when our needs are great.

    With love,
    Hiram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hiram. I'm very touched to hear from you.

      Delete