If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Saturday, May 18, 2013

One year of sharing the ride

The National Cancer Institute's current published five-year survival rate for stage IV endometrial adenocarcinoma is an abissmal 15%.  I'm one year in, hoping to be the enigma, because it was one year ago today, during my hysterectomy, that my cancer diagnosis was confirmed.

Oh, I moan and complain about fatigue and pain and doctors and itchy wigs and disappearing eyebrows...but I'm still very much here, thumbing my nose at that 15%.

I've still got a ways to go...at least this one more round of chemo I'll be starting soon.

In the meantime, I celebrate the easy days and the hard ones, lunch out with a friend, being able to attend my sons' spring band concert.  I'm thankful for all the family and friends that have brought a dinner or run an errand or entertained my kids for a weekend. I'm grateful for those of you who have sent notes of support and encouragement and jokes and stories that made me laugh out loud.

I might be living a life with cancer...but I do so knowing I'm so lucky to be sharing the ride with all you wonderful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment