If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Sunday, October 7, 2018

Hope for the future

Well, last night my son Allen and I made it back from our brief California trip to check out two colleges.  It was a crazy two-city, three-night coast-to-coast quick trip, and I am so grateful I had the energy to keep up with my fleet footed 17 year-old.

We were surprisingly disappointed with CalTech, but both of us LOVED Stanford.  It’s a crazy, stressful, yet also wonderful time to be a parent.  You want so earnestly for your child to be happy and find the right college for him.  You envision him as an adult, engaged in a life he adores.  I regularly read the website Grown and Flown, and I know there will be disappointments and pitfalls along the way, but right now it’s about endless potential.  My son is unsure if he’s got what it takes for Stanford, but his hopes are high, as are mine.

We need to have these special moments in our lives when we reach for the stars and hope for the best.    I embrace this time.  And I hope both my sons do too.   Yes, there are the rigors of college applications ahead of them and Eagle Scout projects to complete, and the inevitable attack of senioritis, but right now it’s all about hope:  hope for my future and hope for theirs.

So, spread your wings and fly, my not-so-little ones.  Soar to heights you never thought possible. I’ll be right here beneath you, cheering you on.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete