If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Monday, April 29, 2019

A plan

Paul and I went to see the gynecological oncologist this morning, the doctor that will oversee my chemotherapy.  A few things have to fall in place, not the least of which is a strong starting white blood cell count, but I am tentatively scheduled to have my first treatment next Tuesday, May 7th.  It will take the better part of the working day.

Also, I haven’t used my port (the semi-permanent sub-dermal access point for the chemo drugs) since I finished chemo the first time, so it may need to be replaced.  We’re going to wait to the first treatment to find out if it’s still unclogged and usable.  If not, I’ll have my first treatment through IV and work out the port issues before the second treatment.

I will, at least, start with the same drugs and protocol as six years ago:  a drug combo abbreviated carbo/taxol, administered once every three weeks for six treatments.  It worked well for me last time, and I tolerated it well.  There’s no reason not to think it won’t do the same this time.

However, my doctor did warn me that sometimes in subsequent chemo treatments, bone marrow support becomes necessary, and if my white blood cell count drops too low, I’ll have to take something like Neupogen or Neulasta to stimulate my bone marrow to make white blood cells.  I understand these drugs can cause excess fatigue and perhaps bone pain, but I’ll just cross that bridge if I come to it.

I’m feeling very positive about this plan.  Yes, I’d rather be doing any number of other things for 18 weeks of my life, but there are certainly worse issues to face.

I’ll post more as the immediate decisions are made about the beginning treatment...but right now, I need to go buy some hats.

2 comments:

  1. Beth, I haven't been seeing your posts for some reason until today. I am so sorry to hear you about to join the cancer warriors once again. I know your fighting spirit has seen you through before and will once again.
    I hope you don't mind if I share something with you but last night I watched a documentary on Cancer done by a group under the heading of Live Longer, Live Better. You can find them on FB. However, the documentary was extremely interesting and one of the suggestions given for anyone experiencing any type of cancer was to demand Intravenous Vitamin C. They start with doses anywhere from 15,000 mg for someone who may be sensitive but the usual dose is 30-50,000 mg. It is safe for anyone, is NOT contraindicated to be used with other meds, assists greatly with fatigue or loss of appetite. This protocol is often given daily but there is research and reports available proving this therapy is very successful.
    As I said, I haven't been seeing your posts so when I did today, I felt compelled to share this info with you. I hope you don't mind.
    Wishing you the very best in your journey.
    I see here, my email on google is platinumagain@gmail.com but the better one to use is richmond@eastlink.ca should you wish to comment. I can't get my laptop to accept my platinum email.
    Love to you, Paul, Boyce and Allen.
    Barb Richmond

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clive joins me in saying that we are rooting for you every step of the way, dear phenomenal woman. xxxx

    ReplyDelete