If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Between stages

Today, I made an early morning trek to Starbucks.  It’s not that I didn’t have coffee here at home.  Paul had already left for work, and it would be hours before the boys are up.  I just needed something to do.  I got caught behind a few school buses, wistfully watching the school kids climb aboard while smaller siblings and parents waved good bye.

I’m in that in-between mode right now.  Between treatments.  Between high school agendas and getting ready to move the boys into their respective colleges next week.  NEXT WEEK!  How did that happen?

The guest bedroom is brimming with XL bed linens, desk lamps, and plastic storage bins.  Almost all is done but the crying, and I’m finding myself a little lost.  After Paul went to bed last night, I was feeling a little lonely, so I went upstairs to visit with my still-awake boys.  I didn’t have anything in particular to say.  I just wanted to be around them.  “Is my room going to stay the same after I leave?” Allen asked unsurely.  “Yes, of course.  It will still be your room.  Well, maybe I’ll put in some new bed linens and drapes,” I said, “at least until you graduate from college.”

I don’t think any of us quite know what to do with ourselves.  Trapped right now between phases in life.

This chemo cycle has been a difficult one for me, and I still have one more to go.  I really got mowed over by fatigue after last Tuesday’s treatment.  There were several days that I was in bed more than out.  But, still no nausea and still no bone pain or tingling in my extremities.  I know in the grand scheme of things, I’m still lucky, but the relentless fatigue had me worried that I’d be able to muster the energy to get me through the next few weeks of packing and traveling.  I’ll just have to take it as it comes and do whatever I need to do.  It’s hard not to know how I’ll be feeling during this most life changing of eras in my boys’ lives.  I am very thankful that a dear friend will be traveling with me to take Boyce to his move in and orientation, a three-day affair, and my brother is meeting us there to help unload and settle in.  Meanwhile, Paul will tackle Allen’s move in, the same day as Boyce’s.  Born the same day; moving into college the same day.  How could it possibly be any different?

So, here I am.  Getting bored with the waiting and preparations and yet anxious about the fruition of all these months of planning, acquisition, and packing.  And worrying about my ability to rise to the occasion required of a parent seeing her twin-born young men off to this next phase.

It will be what it will be.  Send all the extra energy you can muster my way.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Beth I have sympathy for you, I remember when my twins left for university, it is a difficult time for parents, the nest becoming empty, temporarily, as they still come home for holidays and that is lovely. It was a little sad at the time but that was tinged with a feeling of excitement, the next stage of their lives is beginning, exciting times for your whole family! And good times are still ahead, not quite the same when they are grown up but still good!!! Mine are 34 years old now and life is good! Now I have two lovely little granddaughters too, they were here with me last week, they are adorable, it was fun! I sympathise with you, it is hard, but there will be many happy times ahead!!! Enjoy your time with them, sending you courage, hugs and love, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have 'been there and got the tee-shirt'! It all sounds so very normal, and so very right. Your boys have become wonderful young men, ready to spread their wings but knowing they have loving parents and a welcoming home to return to. What a blessing. Let the tears fall. That's normal too. We all die to ourselves as all-providing all-powerful parents as our children rightly move on. But you will always be their parents with special places in their hearts and memories. And as they grow, and return (which they will do, even if less frequently than you'd like to think at this moment) you'll find they appreciate you even more now that they've had to make their own judgements, accept the consequences of their own decisions, and share all the wonderful new facets of life that they didn't even know existed when they were just 'kids at school'.

    They'll come through ... probably with a few silent tears as they realise that 'growing up' and 'freedom' and 'adulthood' come at a price ... and will appreciate you even more .. and you them as you welcome your adult sons with a wide open front door and open arms for massive hugs.

    Take each day as it comes ... as you do, smile, tear up, think a lot and let others take the strain. They do it because they love you and your family ... and I for one am so grateful that you have loving friends.

    Thinking of you all with love dear phenomenal woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete