If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Saturday, August 17, 2019

Life is interesting, isn’t it?

It’s the early morning hours again, and I’m wide awake in my generic hotel room near the college where my son Boyce will be going to school for the next four years.  I’ve been here for the three-day long student and parent orientation program.  At first I thought three days was waaay too long, but it’s given me time to process, time to watch Boyce settle in and start to make friends, and I will be able to leave today in much better shape emotionally than I was three days ago.

This is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do as a parent.  I’ve gone through the gamut of emotions over this life transition.  I’ve been unsure, worried, ready to pack him up and bring him back home...and then magically, I’ve seen him start to bond with his roommate, speak to people as he crosses the campus, develop an assurance in his step and a confidence in his being.  He’s ready...and I think I’m ready.

I had to laugh to myself yesterday as we were chatting between orientation sessions.  He asked me if his sheets and comforter can be washed in the washing machine in his residence hall.  Have I always washed his bed linens for him?  I must have.  He’s been washing his own clothes since middle school, but I guess he’s never been instructed about sheets and other bedding.  How could I have missed this mundane life lesson?  But, I know I’ve prepared him for the big stuff, the stuff that will make him successful and grow in yet unknown exponential ways over the next few years.

I will miss him horribly...his easy-going manner, his incredible sense of humor, his sensitivity to others, but it’s time for him share those gifts with the world.  I couldn’t feel more gutted, but I also couldn’t feel prouder.

His twin brother, Allen, has transitioned to his new life too.  He moved into his university on the same day that Boyce moved in here.  Paul and I had to split ways to make this move happen simultaneously, so I wasn’t able to be there to help Allen make his bed and find the perfect spot for all his belongings.  I didn’t get to meet his roommate...all things I regret, but it had to be that way.  Reports from Paul is that all went well...they found room for everything in his cramped little cell-like dorm room.  It went so well that Allen was really a bit anxious for Paul to leave so he could get out and explore his new world, hook up with friends old and new.  Allen’s university is close to home, so I will be able to go see his new digs soon.  I’ll feel more complete about this parenting stage once I’m able to do that.  Yes, I’m such a mom.

So here Paul and I go, launching ourselves into our own new lives.  We talked on the phone at length last night about the things we’re looking forward to doing, just the two of us.  It helped to look to the future and see all the possibilities that still lie ahead for us.

My energy levels have held up amazingly well during this goodbye process.  Luckily, it’s week three of my treatment cycle, when typically I’m at my best.  I have my final chemo session on Tuesday of next week, and I’m ready to get that under my belt.  Then, in a couple of weeks I’ll have another PET/CT to assess how successful my six sessions of chemotherapy have been in eradicating the cancer.  My CA-125 continues to drop, and my immune system continues to hold up to the rigors of treatment.  I’m ready for some good news, ready to put this chapter behind me and move forward with living my life without the restraints of scheduled treatments, lab work, and doctors’ appointments.

All these transitions coming at once.  Life is interesting, isn’t it?

4 comments:

  1. May God bless you and your family richly Beth. You help make us strong, support us when we waver and comfort us when life seems to be impossible. Early days for you all, but you'll make it. And handsomely. Good luck for your final treatment and please keep us updated. Fingers crossed as always. Very much love xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your always kind, supportive words. I’ll keep you posted.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete