If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Juuuust right

"I just want to get back to the stage where I'm just doing chemotherapy."

I actually found myself saying this to a friend recently.

This thoracotomy recovery business is for the birds.

Here, we'll give you this big bottle of pain medication. We really don't want to refill it, so don't use it too much...but don't use it too little either. Use what you need, but then wean yourself off. I call it the Goldilocks approach to post operative pain management. Only I can't seem to find that perfect titration that is juuuuust right.

On the upside, I must say that my 12-inch scar looks really nice...as surgical scars go. It has a real artistic arch to it. My surgeon's best medium is definitely human flesh.

The tissue assays still have not come back from the large nodule taken during thoracotomy, so we are still waiting to see what chemo blend will be recommended for me. My surgeon says he wouldn't have recommended starting chemo for at least a month after surgery any way, so I don't feel like I'm loosing any ground waiting.

In other news, I'm seeing a new gynecological oncologist next week...I guess for a second opinion. I don't think she's any better a doctor than my current physician, but given that my current oncologist's practice shuts its doors officially tomorrow, I thought it good to have a back up plan.

Well, I'll leave you with that. It's time to go see if I can measure out some porridge that is juuuuust right.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Beth,

    Hoping and praying for your good results from the lab. Glad the scar looks 'nice' lol! :)
    I hope that the pain from the op will soon be a thing of the past and you can take the next step forward.
    All my best wishes, have a peaceful weekend with your family,
    love from Angela

    ReplyDelete