If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Empathy


Some of you may have seen this from my Facebook news feed, but I thought it so moving I wanted to include this video on my blog.  (Thanks, Helen Joyce, for originally sharing it with me.)

My first job out of college was in administration at Emory University Hospital.  I didn't have much contact with patients, but one morning while walking down the main corridor of the hospital, I saw my surroundings in a new light.  Most of the patients who came to Emory were really sick and needed extra expertise that their primary care doctors couldn't provide.  Many of the patients and patient families that I passed in the corridor that day were having the worst day of their lives.

This realization was sobering for my 23 year-old self.  I was simply headed to the snack bar for a Diet Coke before getting back to the next stack of papers on my desk.

Of course, now I can relate to this video as a patient, but it still gives me added valuable perspective.  
As the quote that begins the video says:  
Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?               -- Henry David Thoreau 



P.S.  Don't mean to be an advocate for the Cleveland Clinic necessarily.  They just happened to produce the video.
 
Also, it looks like the video might not download on mobile devices...at least not my iPad.  Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment