If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Sunday, January 5, 2014

I'm pissed as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore

Over the last few days, I've been stewing in a silent vat of helplessness, self-loathing, and, above all, unrelenting anger.  It has been paralyzing. I've been ruminating about doctors, doctors' staffs, pharmaceutical companies, and the general rights and wrongs of the world.  A real hodgepodge.

But, no more.

This is my blog, and I can write about anything I wish.

Today, I'm choosing to rant about how employer-provided healthcare is affected by the Affordable Care Act.  And, I should probably say that while I'm not necessarily a proponent of the ACA, I do believe in and hope for universal healthcare for every American citizen.  But, really my position on this issue doesn't have any bearing on what I'm about to rant about.  Here goes:

I'm sick and tired of hearing how Obamacare is going to raise our healthcare costs.  However, I'm not naive nor do I desire to spin a political agenda that doesn't want to recognize that end user healthcare costs have risen and will no doubt continue to rise, but before you go pointing your finger at any political entity, make sure you've got your ire doled out in all the right places.

The health insurance industry decides what price to charge the employers who buy group policies to offer to their employees. It is, certainly, reasonable that as the ACA mandates new coverage requirements (like pre-existing conditions) to the insurance companies, the insurance companies must estimate the cost increases required to pay for these mandated changes and decide how to cover them.  They are the first gatekeeper in determining the cost of your employer-provided healthcare insurance, yet I've heard zero discussion of the power the insurance companies wield in determining our out-of-pocket costs.  Their bottom line is profit making through exploiting a market need, not offering affordable healthcare.

The next gatekeeper, whom I would hope carefully and compassionately determines how the ACA affects your wallet, is your employer.  But, once again, your employer is a profit making (or at least profit-protecting) machine too.  Once the insurance company passes its premium quotes on to your employer, your employer must decide what percentage of that cost they are willing and able to cover.  The remainder is what you pay every month for the privilege of health insurance.

ACA Mandates
        |
        |
        |
Insurance Companies (profit makers)
        |
        |
        |
Employers (profit makers/protectors)
        |
        |
        |
Your wallet

Is everyone in this chain acting responsibly, smartly, and without malice?



Don't worry.  My rants are far from done.  Soon...why you really might or might not be able to keep your primary care physician.

And hopefully soon, my newly diagnosed medication-induced-or-not diabetes will get under control enough for me to have my PET scan.  Estimate: in about a month. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy the many, many trips to the restroom to which my new diabetes medication is treating me. Happy Flushing!




3 comments:

  1. Very sensible comments and from the heart. You're the same Beth you always were, and all the more loveable for that. The diabetes will get itself under control, with help from a competent endocrinologist and you'll win that battle too. Know that you are much loved, and that you are in my thoughts and prayers. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Beth,
    Sorry to hear you have diabetes to deal with too right now, I hope it will soon be sorted out and you will be feeling better. I'm glad that at least you have access to reasonably good healthcare, we do too as we pay a premium. I think it is the same in most countries nowadays that the insurance companies are making a mint out of us and they don't care much for our well being, everybody is out for what they can personally get out of it. The way our society is structured, so many with much and so many with nothing, who can't afford to pay a private insurance, the system is quite unfair for some, this is not going to change.
    Thinking of you and pray that you will soon be feeling better and have the best of results when you finally get the pet scan.
    Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy new year, specially the healthy for you Beth,
    Love Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth. My thoughts are with you and I'm glad to see your great sense of humor helping to propel you through this crazy time. The whole health care situation makes as much sense at Chemistry or Advanced Calculus, two courses I avoided back in the day. Good luck with the PET scan!

    ReplyDelete