If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Friday, June 7, 2019

About Face

I had the most wonderful experience yesterday.

We have dear friends who own a full service skin care studio called About Face Skin Care right here in Snellville, and they made me aware of a program they have called SideStep.  Funded by donations from the community and other clients, they are able to offer free facials to cancer patients.  What a fabulous idea!

When you lose your hair, your focus turns especially to your face, and after yesterday’s experience, I have a glowing, smooth, refreshed visage.  Plus, it was so relaxing!  Soft music plays in a dimly lit room, while your skin care provider pampers you with an expertly applied facial.  All the products used are very gentle and appropriate for the sensitive skin of a chemotherapy patient.  If you are a cancer patient or know of one, please, please pass on the word about this program.  It’s so worth it!

My provider was LaTrenda Wilson, and she was a real gem.  She knew when to talk and when to just let me be.  I enjoyed myself so much, the hour went by too fast, but at the conclusion I felt so renewed.  I can’t recommend this experience enough.  Even if you don’t live in the Snellville area, it’s worth the drive to this fantastic place.

In addition to being a skin care studio, they also offer exercise classes, including yoga, which I love.  Very reasonable prices too.  You can find out about this part of their business here.

On another front, I got my Day 10 bloodwork results, and I’m doing really, really well.  My neutrophils were 4100.  (Remember, 2500 and above is considered normal for anybody.)  So, my immune system is holding up amazingly well to the rigors of chemotherapy.  Additionally, the cancer marker CA-125 was lowered, a great sign that the chemo is doing its job.

After my next chemotherapy session on June 18th, I’ll have another PET/CT to assess the presence of cancer.  This is the best diagnostic tool available to check on my progress, so, of course, I’m anxious to get it done.  If the cancer has at least stabilized or diminished, we’ll continue with the same course of treatment.  If it’s gotten worse, we’ll try another protocol.

All in all, I’m a pretty happy camper, but I wouldn’t be this way without all the help and support I’ve gotten from all you dear readers.  Thank you.  Thank you.

7 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed being pampered ... you deserve a lot of it so make the most of your 'down time' and FANTASTIC NEWS about your bloodwork. Good work Beth and let's keep the fight going! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anonymous, for your undying love and support. (And, yes, readers, I do know who Anonymous is.) :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Beth, so happy to your bloodwork is so good, that's great news!!! SideStep sounds great! Nothing like a facial to relax, (sends me to sleep!) I'm sure that is very good for you!
    Take care, have a good weekend
    love Angela xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. I always enjoy getting your supportive comments.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to explain ... some spammer put up a quack cure post and I asked for it to be removed which it was. Thank you to the blog administrator for speedy and efficient work ... hence my post also was removed. Nothing sinister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete