If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Apparently, I'm an enigma

"Your results are just bizarre."

"You are quite the enigma." I think I'll make that my new yoga mantra. (Ohm...I am quite the enigma...ohm.)

Wow, doc. Could you make me feel anymore...special? These are actual comments my oncologist made yesterday when I saw him during my chemo session. Did he ever kill my Benedryl buzz.

My original endometrial tumor was a grade 1, which means very a slow growing, non-aggressive, typically non-metastasizing tumor. My pelvic lymph nodes were all negative. Everybody seems confused as to how I ended up with cancerous endometrial tissue in my lungs. Hence, I'm an enigma. I don't find that particularly comforting. It makes me think a piece of my story is missing.

(Perhaps it's time for a second opinion. Not that I don't think my doctor is experienced and good, I just think it might be time to go to a larger cancer center that may have seen other cases like mine. However, my Google searching was not particularly fruitful last night.)

This is my oncologist's plan for when I finish my sixth chemo session in three weeks. I'll have a PET scan about 2 1/2 weeks after that last chemo. Then I'll schedule a consult with a thoracic surgeon who is experienced with pulmonary surgery and cancer. He'll render an opinion about a possible surgery to remove any remaining nodes in my lungs, if my current chemo regimen hasn't removed them already.

If the thoracic surgeon doesn't think surgery helpful, then I would likely start another round of chemo, probably with different drugs.

To sum it all up, a lot is up in the air, depending on how my next PET scan (probably March 6th) looks. If all lung nodules are gone (and there's no new cancer), then I'm in remission. If nodules are still present, I'll either have surgery or start a new round of chemo...or who knows, maybe both.

Deep breath. One day at a time.


3 comments:

  1. A second opinion is probably a good idea. If for nothing else but to give you the comfort that your doctor is doing everything he is supposed to, except taking 'How-To-talk-To-Patients' classes as he obviously should ;)

    Feeling as though you're missing part of the story must be frustrating... I read this and I get frustrated wondering how in the world this got to where it is now. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this! It just sucks. Don't you love my eloquence?

    Of course I want to tell you to call MD Anderson (would you expect anything less out of a Houston girl?)... and of course I know you've thought of them... and I'm guessing you'll handle it the best way possible. But if you do end up in Houston, I'm coming too! LOL
    And here I am rambling away on your blog... sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Beth,
    It makes sense anyway, even if you are very confident that your doctors are the best, and even if it was less complicated, to have a second opinion, maybe even a third! I hope that you will be able to see the best oncologists.
    Take care, thinking of you and wishing you all the best.
    Much love, Angela













    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete