If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Pivotal PET scan

They have us packed in like sardines at the radiology imaging waiting room. This will be my third PET scan here and the most nerve wracking. I went into the previous two with great naïveté. This time, the stakes are high.

I'm halfway through the carbo/taxol chemo, so it's time to see if it's working to shrink or get rid of the three small nodules of metastasized endometrial cancer in my lungs. If there are improvements, we'll continue the course with the remaining three sessions of carbo/taxol. If not, then it's back to ground zero and time to try something else.

What's worse is I know the technician will know exactly what's going on as soon as the scan is over, but she can't tell me. I'll have to wait until at least tomorrow to give my doctor time to sift through the papers on his desk to my results. I think I'll take an extra dose of Xanax tonight before bed.

Of course it's no fun that I haven't had anything to eat since midnight, I'm so tired it's all I could do not to fall asleep during the drive over, and I forgot the form with my oncologist's instructions, as well as my insurance card. And, I'll be radioactive until 6:00pm tonight from the contrast solution they inject in me one hour before the scan.

I just want a nap.

5 comments:

  1. All of my thoughts, prayers, positive mojo and anything else I'm forgetting are with you right now Beth!!!

    Radio active or not, I'm hugging you as tight as I can in my heart!

    Get your nap in, take those xanax. You deserve it all.

    Love you!

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take the xanax and have some rest. I can't imagine how nerve wracking the whole process must be for you... and having to wait for results the next day...

    I hope you will hear the goodnews you're longing to hear.
    My thoughts are with you tonight. Keep going, keep strong and remember "You win"

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were on my mind heavily today and now I know why.. I said a prayer when you came to mind. Rest well friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were on my mind heavily today and now I know why.. I said a prayer when you came to mind. Rest well friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Beth,

    You are very often in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you the best of results for this scan. Wishing you also strength to keep on fighting till you are well again.

    Take care, a big hug and love
    Angela xxx

    ReplyDelete