If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Could be worse

Most people think life sucks, and then you die. Not me. I beg to differ. I think life sucks, then you get cancer, then your dog dies, your wife leaves you, the cancer goes into remission, you get a new dog, you get remarried, you owe ten million dollars in medical bills but you work hard for thirty-five years and you pay it back and then -- one day -- you have a massive stroke, your whole right side is paralyzed, you have to limp along the streets and speak out of the left side of your mouth and drool but you go into rehabilitation and regain the power to walk and the power to talk and then -- one day -- you step off a curb at Sixty-seventh Street, and BANG you get hit by a city bus and then you die. Maybe.               - Denis Leary

For some, Denis Leary may be a bit of an acquired taste, but I think he's hilarious.

3 comments:


  1. Dear Beth,
    I hope you are feeling good today?

    That is a very funny comment! I never heard of Denis Leary, he brings Woody Allen to mind though, (whose humor I like) the style of witty comment is very similar! However, I have to disagree with him and say: Life sucks for some, but not for most. There are many lucky ones among us who can remember having good times in our lives before it started to suck!

    We have to remember that as some don't get any good times in their lives at all, ever. I know when life sucks it is hard to think of it, but we need to use our memories of the good times we had to help us find strength to battle our way through the parts that suck!
    I hope you are warm there in Georgia? I just spent half an hour scraping a one centimeter thick layer of solid ice off my car, it is minus 1°C here today.

    I wish you a peaceful and happy day.
    Love Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings, Angela!

    Rest assured, I'm not of the life sucks contingency. I just found this particular quote extremely funny. Just the extreme ridiculousness of it all. I never thought of comparing Denis Leary to Woody Allen, but I do see the similarities. But, trust me, Denis Leary is much rougher around the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello Beth,

    I know very well that you are most certainly not one of the life sucks contingency! I realized that you were just sharing an amusing quote. I see you as a very courageous optimist, I'm so happy that you are.

    Bless you dear Beth

    ReplyDelete