If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The laying on of hands

My surgeon for tomorrow is a bit of a cowboy, pretty much like every cardiothoracic surgeon I've ever met before, though this is the first time I've met one as a patient, not as an employee. I think they take on this self-assured swagger because there truly is something God-like about opening up someone's chest and holding their heart or lungs in their hands, organs so central to life.

I've had surgeries before, but never one quite like this one. Gallbladder removed?  Pfft, piece of cake. Twins delivered by C-section, no problem...especially with that little handheld pump that allowed me to give myself pain medication whenever I wanted. Even with my hysterectomy, I was underwhelmed with the recovery process.

But, this...this seems like the big time. Once the surgeon makes about an eight-inch incision on my side, he proceeds to cut around or through muscles and nerves and spread my ribs apart until he can see my right lower lobe of my lungs. Then, the magic begins. The right side of my lung is deflated, so that during the surgery I'm breathing only through my left lung.

Then the surgeon puts his hands inside my chest and feels my deflated lung. He says this is the best way to find abnormalities, through touch, not sight. Here I've had PET scans and MRIs and robotic surgeries...but with all that technology, the most effective way to diagnose my lung is by feeling his way around. The laying on of hands.

It's an amazing thing, this process. I'm both awed and terrified by it in equal measure.

My surgeon's name is Dr. John Moore. No relation, though he has taken to calling me Cousin Elizabeth. He's done a bajillion thoracotomies. My lungs couldn't be in better hands...literally. I've read up on thoracotomies and know that control of post operative pain is a big issue. At my last appointment I asked him what his philosophy was for pain management. His response? "I don't want you to have any." Good answer.

I'm the first case tomorrow, which means Paul and I must be at Northside Hospital at 5:30 am. Surgery is due to start at 7:30. I'll spend my first night in the ICU and won't make it to a regular hospital room until sometime Friday. If all goes well, I'll be discharged on Monday.

I'll have Paul post a brief update tomorrow to let everyone know how everything's going.

Oh, one last little note...today is mine and Paul's 20th anniversary, the thoracotomy anniversary!

I'll see y'all on the other side.






2 comments:

  1. Dear Beth,
    Your description of the operation sounds amazing. I'm sending you all my best wishes, thoughts and prayers for your surgery and post op recovery.
    I'm glad that you feel that your lungs are going to be in good hands, it is nice when your doctor inspires confidence!
    Great that Paul will update, will be on tenterhooks so tell him not to forget!

    Take care dear Beth, hope you have sweet dreams under the anaesthetic! Actually I don't think you dream under anaesthetic, at least I never did! :)
    Lots of love
    Angela xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for you sweet friend. Prayers for Dr. Moore. Prayers for the family. Prayers for the friends. And I offer my mantra to you all...deep breath in, deep breath out. Let the stress of the day melt away. Xoxoxo Cara

    ReplyDelete