If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Being in the present


Just a little update. My thoracic surgeon presented my case as a surgical candidate to the hospital's tumor conference yesterday. I'll find out the results of that, as well as my pulmonary function studies and head MRI on Friday, when I have an appointment to see him again.

If all goes as I think it will, I'll be having a thoracotomy to explore the right lower lobe of my lungs sometime in the next few weeks. Then, I'll start another (probably shorter) round of chemo a few weeks after that. The really cool thing is, they'll test any residual cancer cells in my lungs to find out what formula of chemo will likely work the best. They previously did this with the initial core biopsy they took of the largest nodule back in October. However, results may have changed, as cancers can become resistant to previously successful chemo drugs, or chemo can simply change the cancer cells so that a new chemo cocktail is required. I think it's amazing that this sort of analysis at the molecular level is available to us cancer patients now.

In other news, my 81 year-old mother had to be admitted to the hospital yesterday for IV antibiotics for chest congestion. I think it's more preventative than anything...to make sure it doesn't become something serious like pneumonia. Healing thoughts sent her way are most appreciated.

I'll be in touch soon.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing what they can do nowdays. It's reassuring in a way. I hope all goes as you imagine and well and smoothly aswell, so you can go ahead with things without any more doubts.
    It must be difficult having to make decisions for your health at such a level.

    I keep my fingers crossed for you, sending you all positive and healing thoughts.

    Hope your mum will feel better soon and please send our love to paul and the boys. Yann was asking about them and Duke last week ;-)

    Love

    laurie & Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Beth,
    The treatment plan sounds very good, as you say, it is amazing what can be done nowadays! Thanks to all those scientists working hard to find cures all the time, there are so many cancer charities all over the world and I think they are well worth donating too where ever we are as each country makes discoveries and shares them for the common good of all of us.
    Wishing you the best of luck for today, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
    I hope your mother is improving, my thoughts, good vibes and best wishes for her good recovery too.
    take care,
    Love Angela

    ReplyDelete