If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Damned chemo

Last night I had a bit of a scare.

I did call my oncology practice during office hours yesterday to inquire about my sinus infection. They told me as long as I wasn't running fever, they didn't want to prescribe any antibiotics. I guess they don't want to risk me developing any antibiotic resistance should I really need them in a more serious situation.

Well, in the evening, I did develop a fever. I'm supposed to call in if it gets to 100.5 or higher. Mine got up to 100.4, a tenth of a degree shy of an emergency room visit. I guess the good news is my immune system is still relatively healthy, because not long after my fever reached that high point, it started dropping.  Today, it's just a minimal low grade fever.

I'm rather amazed at how something previously so innocuous could cause me to panic. I feel like such an alarmist. Damned chemo.

5 comments:

  1. You are strong, and wise and fierce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was neutropenic every time during chemo when possible lol! I got so used to it that I always had stuff packed incase I had to go in, then all I had to do was bring the bag with me instead of feeling rough and forgetting something and there was no way I wanted to forget my meds. Just be cautious but try not to worry yourself too much Hun.

    I blog about my bone cancer experiences but can still relate to somethings like you.

    www.copingwiththebigc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. My doctors didn't save my eggs before chemotherapy and I was only 21 and can't have kids now, That annoys me more then the cancer sometimes as I've heard they could have saved them as other hospitals can for other people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Beth,

    I'm not surprised that you worried about it, who wouldn't? I like Anonymous' comment, it seems to fit and you need to carry on being strong, wise and fierce!

    I hope that all is well now and that today you are feeling good!

    Have a happy Sunday with your lovely family
    Love Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fierce! Love that word :)

    I'm glad to hear your body knew when enough is enough and put a k'bash on that pesky fever!

    Hugs to you my dear!

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete