If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The latest

Saw my oncologist yesterday. He wants to see me once a month while I'm doing chemo. No big news, just some new info I thought I'd share.

I will have another PET scan on January 3rd, just before my fourth session of chemo. If improvements in the nodules in my lungs are apparent, especially the largest one that was big enough to biopsy, then I'll continue with the carbo/taxol regime. If no improvement is seen, we'll try some other combination of chemo drugs for the following sessions.

Additionally, he's adding an oral medication, Megace, to my regimen. What this drug does is block the effect of any residual estrogen in my system on my cancer. Excess estrogen probably contributed to the development of my cancer, so this is a reasonable thing to do. Significant side effects...mainly increased appetite, ugh. Because of this, it's also used to treat anorexia. I need to lay in a supply of rice cakes and fruit for when the munchies hit.

Though improved, my back is still bothering me, so now I have a referral to see a neurologist. I keep re-injuring it, almost daily. I recover fairly quickly, but for a few seconds, the pain is pretty unbearable. The upside?  I scored some opiate pain killers to tide me over until I can see the neurologist.

No philosophical insights to share today. Just taking care of business.

1 comment:

  1. Leave it to you to find the upside with opiates, rice cakes and fruit... :)

    Hope the neurologist is able to fix up your back! Let us know how it goes :)


    Pamela

    ReplyDelete