If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

I refuse to be Alice

"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things."  "I dare say you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."            --Lewis Carroll
I think the Queen might be onto something. Sometimes you have to take command of your emotions and tell them how you want to feel. Practice thinking positively, even when you don't feel it. It would be wonderful to wander through life like Alice, a naive carefree reed in the wind. But, this week, I choose to be the Queen and believe in the impossible, or at least practice believing in the impossible.

No, surviving my cancer isn't an impossible task, but the published five-year survival rates (15%) do make for a dismal outlook. But, I'm now in the habit of imagining the impossible, every single day. Those survival rates mean nothing to me. They just simply don't apply, and they certainly don't define me.

Almost daily, I've been listening to a meditation for patients undergoing chemo. In addition to other positive imagery and affirmations, the leader of the meditation invites me to see this cancer as a negative energy I've been holding onto because I previously thought I needed it. So, now it's time to say good bye and get rid of the negativity. I imagine each cancer cell breaking free and making its way out of my body.

Maybe it's a little fanciful, but maybe it's just about having faith in the positive powers of the universe, believing in what seems to be near impossible.

8 comments:

  1. Sending positive mojo your way. Those statistics are for the ordinary person. You are extraordinary so let's just ignore it. That statistic doesn't apply to you!

    XX00 Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are only defined by what you want to be defined by! (You'd be safe to go with just general awesomeness, by the way.)

    For what it's worth, I'm so stubborn I continually tell the universe exactly how this is going to play out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Simple Abundance Nov. 8 more things are wrought by prayer than this world ever dreams of. Alfred Lord Tennyson.
    Here is my mantra... Deep breath in and out. Relax your mind. Let the stress of the day melt away. It's a wonderful meditation.
    Try it with eyes closed. Repeat it until you feel it's powers. Touch those you love. Energy transfers. Breathe it in. And burn some
    Essential oils. They smell good and lift the spirits. I recommend something with lemon in it. 1. I know you and your love for anything lemon
    2. It's clean and clearing. It will open your mind. Go ahead and add some lavender too. It will calm your mind.
    Beth, I'm going to take from one of Emma bday cards from one BFF. It brought a smile to my face. I hope it does yours too! I'll use our experiences.
    Tea + Brighton= friends
    Moms club+ cow=friends
    Me + you=friends
    Taco+cat= friends not sure what it means but it was Emma's card and I like it!
    Love you, Cara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Good Queen Beth!
    The meditation sounds good, getting rid of the negative energy and becoming filled with new positive energy. People tell stories of amazing things happening when they really believe in it and work wholeheartedly at this kind of thing.
    Wishing you a peaceful day, full of positive thoughts and energy.
    Sending prayers for your healing
    Love Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Statistically I should not be able to walk right now - don't believe the numbers, your attitude overrules simple digits.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doctors told my sister she would never walk again when she was little due to a rare leg disease. She didn't believe them. She ended up walking and becoming a track star at her high school. The mind is a very powerful tool! You CAN beat this!

    I have been thinking of you a lot this holiday season. I had such a wonderful time with you and your family in France. We must go on a new adventure when you are better!

    Love ya,
    Mary Smith

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been a numbers person... so just throw that out with the trash!

    You are extraordinarily awesome (as Patty and Andrea said above) and the Good Witch will Prevail!

    And if Andrea is telling the universe things, you know it's going to happen!

    Beth + The Universe = Success!!

    Love you,

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. One more thing...

    Where can I comment on the new picture? Love the scarf, cool earrings and great cleavage shot!

    I miss you! Hoping to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete