If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Keeping my perspective

In light of the horrible situation at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, I don't really feel like writing about my complaints today. However, I will say this.

Yesterday, I walked into my sons' school, signed in at the office, slapped on a name tag, and proceeded -- without anyone giving me a second glance -- straight to a classroom, with several bags of stuff in my hands. In the bags were things for Monday's holiday party, but nobody knew that.

I do enjoy the freedom of access in my kids' school, and I can't imagine the administrative nightmare that instituting a restrictive system would entail. But, yesterday's incident in Connecticut does give me pause.

Like many parents everywhere, yesterday I was especially glad when my own children arrived safely home from school.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Beth, I hope you are feeling well today?

    The school shooting is an absolutely shocking, horrifying story, it must have saddened and brought to tears people all over the world to hear about all those dear little ones and also Vicki Soto, the beautiful young teacher who gave her life shielding her pupils. Why oh why would anybody want to kill innocent kids and teachers and traumatize all the other kid's in the school, everybody in the town? Incredible, and it happens over and over again. Schools and colleges need to build gatehouses and have armed guards, unfortunately. I can imagine how you felt to have your children home safe. I imagine schools will keep the gates locked in future and only admit people having a genuine reason to enter?

    Take care, love Angela xxx

    ReplyDelete