If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

Every day, but especially today, I am thankful for many things. At the top of the list are my family, especially my dear husband Paul, and friends who are giving me undying support and encouragement through this battle. I can't describe the lift I get when I receive your phone calls, cards, meals, emails, texts, and views of this blog. I get such a charge out of watching my page views climb. Y'all sure know how to make a girl feel loved.

I am grateful that my mother remembered that I love cake with caramel frosting. There was one waiting for my arrival yesterday. It may not be made with the same élan as her cakes in the past, but eating it will be no less sweet.

I am thankful that my almost 12 year-old boys will still give me hugs and kisses and occasionally still hold my hand. They are growing into such wonderful young men, and I am proud to be their mom.

I am grateful for my team of doctors, nurses, technicians, and other support staff who are taking such good care of me. And, I'm grateful for the ten years I worked in the medical environment and my basic working knowledge of the science but also the delivery systems of health care. A good patient is an informed patient. I'm thankful that my husband has a job with excellent medical insurance that gives me access to treatments I need.

I'm even thankful for this journey. Slowing down and taking stock of every single day has given me great perspective. It's a very contemplative time for me, and I'm grateful to be able to write about it.

I am thankful for my niece Bailey, who has offered to shave my head for me so I won't have to deal with all this hair falling out everywhere. ;-)

And now, I've got to go. There's cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie and turkey and dressing and gravy to be made.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Beth! I am so happy you are able to be in Blythewood with your mom. I remember you in my prayers every day - praying for peace, strength and healing. I appreciate you sharing this journey with us and wish you all the best.

    Much love -
    Melissa George Sipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to have news of you from overseas, Beth. I read your blog as often as possible and pray for your recovering. Here in Colmar, the town center is illuminated, plenty of christmas decorations and christmas markets are already settled. A nice time full of hope. Katy Lacroix

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth
    Your Blog is wonderfully written, creative, honest, and heart-felt. Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us. And thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving culinary skills and hospitality with Charlie, Hannah and me. May faith, hope, and love embrace you daily. Cathy

    ReplyDelete