If this is your first visit to my blog, you might want to start with my first entry, "How I got here - the short version".

Monday, November 12, 2012

I bought a wig

There's something a little creepy about going into a wig shop. I think it's all those mannequin heads with their plastic expressions and over-applied cosmetics. (Wasn't there a Twilight Zone episode where a character gets forever stuck in a department store with a bunch of freaky mannequins?)

My oncologist tells me there's about an 85% chance that I'll loose my hair during the chemo process. It could start falling out as soon as next week. Since we're hoping to go home to the farm for Thanksgiving, it made sense to me to go with the odds and get the wig now.

And, God got it right when he made me a dark brunette. I tried a sultry auburn which made my skin way too sallow, a light brown that was the quintessence of 'dishwater blonde' (on me...not Ms. Bug-eyed-pouty-lips-disembodied-mannequin-head), and a blondes-have-more-fun job that might have worked if I'd done my face up street walker style this morning. Nope, I'll just take my natural color (minus the grey roots), thank you very much.

Another thing.  I have a big head in the wig fitting world.  None of the average size wigs fit me, and they didn't have a single large for me to try on just for size. And, the wig I chose only comes in average, so the owner of the shop is reworking it by hand to fit me. This is no surprise at all. Even my boys, born one month premature, had full-term sized heads. Their little bodies may have been in the delicate 15th percentile, but their mother's-sons heads, 100 per cent, baby.


Creepy mannequin heads

P.S.  Had a really good day today. Felt like myself again for the first time since chemo last week, with the exception of my hands developing an arthritic-type feel to them, not an unheard of side effect of taxol/carbo chemo.

6 comments:

  1. Of course you have a big head. Gotta have adequate room for all those brains :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good day.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i cannot WAIT to see yall for thanksgiving! hope youre bringing duke.. judd and harley need play dates and i need time well spent on granny's swing with my best aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always thought that if I had to go the wig route, I'd like to try lavender. I probably couldn't pull it off, however. And I know it's not the right word for it, but I'm "enjoying" your blog! Have you read Rapt by Winifred Gallagher? I haven't (though I've read lots of reviews) and she wrote it in the midst of cancer treatments. It's about how life is what you pay attention to, and I remember interviews with her in which she talked about not wanting to think/talk about cancer all the time and how she focused on other things. Just FYI, in case you've never encountered it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete